My daughter Lena has baked this Cake a little while back. She did it completely independently, including the washing up and clearing away.
Not only am I super proud of her for achieving all this on her own but I am also totally thrilled that she chose to adapt a BBC Good Food Carrot Cake recipe to a refined sugar and grain free recipe. She is become more aware of healthy eating it seems, or maybe my efforts are finally rubbing off ;-)
This recipe has been baked many times since and although it is healthy enough to be be served for breakfast, not a single crumb has made it to the next day in our house yet.
Anyhow, it has taken me a little while to get her to share her recipe with me and to allow me to share it with all of you. I think she knows that she is quickly become the best baker in our house and seems to like it that way. ;-)
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Love K
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ Gas 4/ Fan 160C. Oil and line an approx. 18cm square cake tin with baking parchment.
- Tip the Coconut Palm Sugar into a large mixing bowl, pour in the coconut oil and add the eggs. Lightly mix with a wooden spoon. Stir in the grated carrots, raisins, and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, mix the ground almonds, bicarb soda and spices. Once mixed well, add to the bowl with the wet ingredients. Mix all the ingredients well, until everything is evenly amalgamated. It should be fairly soft and almost runny.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin and bake for 40-45 minutes, until it feels firm and springy when you press it in the middle.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5min, before turning it out. Peel off the baking parchments and let it cool on a wire rack.